incompatible licences and other issues

Patrice Dumas pertusus at FREE.FR
Mon Sep 19 04:39:15 EDT 2005

Hi,

Some issues with grads:

1) Incompatible licences

First of all you should stop distributing lats as the licence is not
compatible with the GPL.

You shouldn't distribute gxeps.c either as there is an
advertising clause incompatible with the GPL
"Credit must be given in user-accessible documentation".

Same for gxhpng.c because there is no licence statement so the code
appears to be proprietary.

2) include of .c files in gxmeta.c

If this changes, then you really shouldnt include gxeps.c in gxmeta.c.
Similarly I don't think it is a good idea to include gxhpng.c in
gxmeta.c.

3) gxgif.c

The code of is file is very strange however it is unused. It really should
be taken out from the distribution, it is very questionnable regarding
copyright to have many copyrights and licences in one file.

4) gd13gif.c and associated files

They seem to come from somewhere gd. What is very strange is that gd is
used... These codes and files shouldn't be included in grads, and if they
are really necessary they should be in a separate directory. Maybe the
trouble comes from an issue with lzw patents? In that case the past
grads code may have been illegal. This patent is now in the public
domain and it seems to me that lzw support is back in gd. If my analysis
is right a newer version of gd should be used.

5) zlib.h not included

Another strange thing is that compress is used although zlib.h isn't
included anywhere. This also seems wrong to me.

--
Pat