using oacres to contour every value

Dan Leins theedge981 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 14 11:23:00 EDT 2005

List,
 I have a program that pulls temperatures out of a netCDF file, puts them
into a binary file, and plots them in grads. I also contour and shade the
map using oacres. It actually produces quite a nice image, smooths out all
the bad obs, but I was wondering, is there any way I can use oacres to
contour every value on my map? I'd like to take this image, and use it as a
quality control product where bad obs stick out, thus making it a little
easier to identify where the problem sites are. This would essentially
produce bulls-eyes where bad data points exist, and this is exactly what I'm
looking for.
 As an example, I made a plot of temperatures this morning, generally in the
upper 60s to lower 70s. However, there are 2 points that stick out with
values of 32. I messed around with the oacres radii, taking it all the way
down to 0.1, and while I start to get a bulls-eye, it's in the wrong area,
and doesn't contour all the way down to 32. When I go to make my contour,
GrADS spits out "Contouring 65 to 75 interval 1".
 So I tried to set clevs 28 30 32...etc....74 76 78 80, then d oacres(
dummy.2(t=1), ts,0.5), and while it spits out "contouring at clevs 28 30
32...etc...", the lowest contour I see on my map is 64.
 Does anyone have any idea how to make grads contour bad data to make it
stick out? It seems oacres is trying to smooth it out too much.
 Thanks,
Dan Leins