How to convert netcdf to ascii

Mari Kauhaniemi mari.kauhaniemi at FMI.FI
Fri Sep 9 02:24:39 EDT 2005

Hi,
I have tried to convert netcdf files to the ASCII using following command:

ncdump input.nc > output.txt

where input.nc is my netcdf input file and output.txt would be the
output ASCII file.
This command does not work. It only gives the “Unknown command: ncdump”
-message. I have also tried it by writing a simple script test.gs:

‘sdfopen input.nc’
‘ncdump input.nc > output.txt’

and then used a command:

run test

The same error message comes from that. I.e., sdfopen command works but
the command ncdump doesn’t. I am using Grads version 1.8SL11 and I have
always opened gradsnc with a command

ga –l

As I am new with Grads I may not know all (even simplest) things what
should be done, i.e., is there some settings or other, which should be
done before using that command, or could the reason be that the command
ncdump doesn’t work in the version I am using.

Can anybody help me with this problem, please?

Best wishes,
Mari Kauhaniemi