Displaying u and v wind data from two separate files

Charles Williams c.j.r.williams at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Sat Sep 3 08:19:29 EDT 2005

Dear GrADS users,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with what is probably a very simple problem.

I am trying to view vector wind data from two separate self describing NetCDF files (uwind.nc and vwind.nc corresponding to the two wind components) - ending up with an image showing wind direction (arrows) and wind strength (shaded contours).  How can I do this?  I really have 2 questions therefore: i) how can I have both files open at the same time such that both can be displayed at once; and ii) how can I use both vector and contour gxout options?

If it helps anyone to understand what I want to end up with, it is more or less exactly the same as the images produced from the daily composite online tools from the CDC.  The only reason I am downloading the NetCDF file and doing it myself is because I want to fiddle about with colours and intervals.

Many thanks,

Charlie Williams

Charles JR Williams
Department of Geography
University of Sussex
Falmer, Brighton
BN1 9RH

'Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.'        Mark Twain