Comments on building GrADS from source

Patrice Dumas pertusus at FREE.FR
Thu Oct 27 04:13:22 EDT 2005

> http://www.environnement.ens.fr/docs/fc-srpms/grads-1.9b4.tar.gz
> My comment for Patrice would be to let the FLAGS be part of the
> environment for the testing rather than enforce fixed ideas on where
> things should be. Maybe that's what he intends anyway? He has

Inded that's not intended, but a bug. Thanks for reporting it !
In gd.m4 the CPPFLAGS were not reset properly. I have fixed it and
uploaded the new tarball at the same address:

http://www.environnement.ens.fr/docs/fc-srpms/grads-1.9b4.tar.gz

> implemented configure options allowing the specification of non-standard
> locations for hdf4 and netcdf (Applause!), but not for udunits. If the
> FLAGS were checked, perhaps none of these would be necessary in my case.

Yes, but in fact the --with-* have 2 purposes in my macros.
The first one is to specify a directory, and the FLAGS may be used
instead. An the second is to bypass the tests in many directories and the
corresponding addtions to the FLAGS. When the FLAGS are set and don't
allow to link/compile the directories will be checked. So using the
--with-* is usefull when the user wants to be sure to use a specific
directory. This is a bit theoretical as tests for libraries appearing
before in the configure may have allready added to the FLAGS (in grads
there are many tests so some FLAGs may be changed, except that
the linking flas are isolated).

As there are no specific tests for udunits there is also no --with-*.

--
Pat