creating contour plots with .txt data

Stephen R McMillan smcmillan at PLANALYTICS.COM
Wed Oct 5 10:25:51 EDT 2005

Mark,
Regarding 1st item below...if the number of columns (probably longitude)
produces lines of text greater than the GrADS read-text limit, then I
recommend arranging the text such that each line contains the information
for only one grid value. Script-wise, may be easier that way regardless.
For example:

-97.5  40  1015
 -95  40  1013.2
-92.5  40  1018.7
etc.

Steve Mc

Stephen R. McMillan/Planalytics
10/05/2005 09:57 AM

GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
cc

Subject
Re: creating contour plots with .txt data

Mark,
Yes you can, and I do this routinely. Something similar to the following:

1. Save your data in a space or tab delimited text format, with the data
arranged in the desired grid format.
2. Open a control file corresponding to the desired output resolution and
projection. For example, you could "sdfopen" an existing sea level
pressure file having the 2.5x2.5 resolution you mentioned.
3.Set your output resolution (set lat, lon, etc.), and time to a single
value.
3. Define a "template" variable. For example, 'define
tempvar=const(slp,1013,-a)' to set up a "blank" 1013 slp field.
4. Read in your data one grid value at a time, convert the corresponding
coordinates to grid coordinates ('q w2gr'), then use the "set defval"
command to modify the corresponding grid value to your input variable's
value.
5. Plot and contour your new data field.

Hope this works for you. Not knowing your GrADS experience level, the
above is pretty general. Holler for further assistance.

Steve Mc

Mark Schuster <m_schus at YORKU.CA>
Sent by: GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
10/05/2005 03:43 AM
Please respond to
GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT

GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT
cc

Subject
creating contour plots with .txt data

Hi

I was wondering if anybody knows if I could use grads to make a contour
plot of
variables that i have in a regular text file.  A have average moisture
flux
values for specific lat/lon squares and would like to create a contour
plot of
these. I have tried doing this with Excel, but Excel creates the stupidest
looking plot, and my values are averages over a 2.5x2.5 degree square, and
Excel is interpreting them as being point values.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks a lot

Mark

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary
to Planalytics, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies.  This
message may be an attorney-client communication and as such is privileged
and confidential.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in
error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication
in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the