GDS. Can't parse data string

William Voorsluys williamvoor at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 3 10:52:35 EDT 2005

Hi,

I've installed Grads Data Server version 1.3. I'm experiencing a
problem that shows up anytime I try to browse any data set
information. It complains about the date format.
I first saw this error when running with Java 1.5. I switched back to
1.4.2 but the error persisted.

See the error message reported by the GDS servlet:

------------
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can't parse date string: 12z24aug2005 GMT
	at org.iges.util.Range.parseGradsFormat(Range.java:199)
	at org.iges.grads.server.GradsExtracter.convertGradsDateToCOARDS(GradsExtracter.java:612)
	at org.iges.grads.server.GradsExtracter.loadDimValues(GradsExtracter.java:490)
	at org.iges.grads.server.GradsGridExtracter.load(GradsGridExtracter.java:227)
	at org.iges.grads.server.GradsExtracter.parse(GradsExtracter.java:80)
	at org.iges.grads.server.GradsDODSModule.extract(GradsDODSModule.java:420)
	at org.iges.grads.server.GradsDODSModule.loadDAS(GradsDODSModule.java:380)
	at org.iges.grads.server.GradsDODSModule.writeDAS(GradsDODSModule.java:187)
-------------

It seems strange as the requested date format is in the list the
servlet is trying to parse, as we can see in the following code
excerpt.
--------
    protected final static SimpleDateFormat[] gradsDateFormats = {
	// These are output by "set time"
	new SimpleDateFormat ("yyyy:M:d:H:m z"),
	new SimpleDateFormat ("yyyy:M:d:H z"),
	// These are legal formats in CTL files and "q time"
	new SimpleDateFormat ("H:m'z'ddMMMyyyy z"), // single quotes for literal 'z'
	new SimpleDateFormat ("H'z'ddMMMyyyy z"), // single quotes for literal 'z'
	new SimpleDateFormat ("ddMMMyyyy z"),
	new SimpleDateFormat ("MMMyyyy z"),
	new SimpleDateFormat ("yyyy z"),
    };

I'm sending the ctl file of this dataset attached.

Thank you in advance,

William.