accessing data w/ gradsdods

Dan Leins theedge981 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 14 13:27:57 EST 2005

List,

After a bit of trouble, I've gotten gradsdods 1.9b4 working on my home
PC.  i'd like to use it to access model data on the nomads.ncdc server,
but I'm running into a bit if trouble.   For example, if I want to open
this morning's 06Z run of the NAM, I type in...

"open
http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov:9091/dods/NCEP_NAM/200511/20051114/nam_218_20051114_0600_fff"

but nothing seems to happen.  I don't get any error messages - it's as
if it's trying to open it, but failing.

Thinking that I may not have compiled grads correctly, I tried to open a
station data file from another server, and it seems to work just fine,
so the problem seems to be isolated to any time I try and open up model
data.  Does anyone have any idea why this might be the case?  Is the
syntax of my open command incorrect?  Like I said before, I had some
trouble getting gradsdods to work in the past, so I haven't been able to
experiment with it much at all, so I could be making a "newbie" mistake
and not even knowing it.

In case anyone needs it....this is the output of 'q config'

Config: v1.9b4 32-bit little-endian readline sdf/xdf netcdf dods
dods-stn lats athena printim

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 1.9b4
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 by Brian Doty and IGES
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
This program is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information.

Built Mon May 23 13:31:07 EDT 2005 for i686-pc-linux-gnu

This version of GrADS has been configured with the following options:

   o This is a 32-bit LITTLE ENDIAN machine version.
   o Command line editing (readline) ENABLED.
   o CIRES/CDC (http://www.cdc.noaa.gov) SDF/XDF interface ENABLED.
     Use sdfopen/xdfopen to read NetCDF files.
   o DTYPE netcdf is ENABLED; DTYPE hdfsds is DISABLED.
   o OPeNDAP (a.k.a. DODS) gridded data interface ENABLED.
(http://opendap.org)
     This version is configured to access gridded data on OPeNDAP servers
     via the sdfopen or xdfopen commands, or using DTYPE netcdf.
   o OPeNDAP (a.k.a. DODS) station data interface (gadods) ENABLED.
     This version is configured to access station data on OPeNDAP servers
     via the open command.
   o PCMDI (http://www-pcmdi.llnl.gov) LATS interface ENABLED.
     This version is configured to write GRIB and NetCDF files.
   o DAO (http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov) Athena Widget GUI ENABLED.
   o NRL/DAO/PCMDI XA or ImageMagick Image Output DISABLED.
   o printim command for direct png/gif output ENABLED.
     (via the GD Library -- http://www.boutell.com/gd)

Does anything in there stick out as wrong or the likely cause of these
problems?

Thanks,
Dan Leins