Variable Below

Wesley Ebisuzaki Wesley.Ebisuzaki at NOAA.GOV
Mon Nov 7 10:00:54 EST 2005

Asselin, Brad wrote:

>Good evening,
>Does anybody have an knowledge or experience in using the following variable:
>
>weasd *surface accum snow (kg/m^2)
>Is it useful and how do you use it correctly ?
>Thank you in advance.
>Brad Asselin

Brad,

       WEASD = water equivalent accumulated snow depth (my guess)

        At NCEP, WEASD is used in two different ways.

       (1) If the WEASD time stamp is "analysis" or "N-hour forecast",
then the field has
the mass of the snow pack at the appropriate time.

      (2) If the WEASD time stamp is like "12-15hr acc", then it is the
mass of the snow that fell
between 12 and 15 hours of the forecast.

    The NCEP GFS uses the 1st convention, and the NAM (ETA) uses both.
For the NAM
files, you have to separate the WEASD components as GrADS will get
confused when it
sees two fields with the same name.

      Wesley Ebisuzaki