BUFR data

Jennifer Adams jma at COLA.IGES.ORG
Tue Mar 8 16:19:12 EST 2005

The BUFR tables are in
ftp://grads.iges.org/grads/1.9/grads-1.9b1-data.tar.gz

You can use the external utility bufrscan (which is included in the
binary distributions of 1.9) with the -h options to see the headers
(what variables are in your file) or the -d options to see the data
(actual values). The GrADS descriptor file for a bufr file is
constructed based on the output from bufrscan. I haven't had time to
write any documentation for bufrscan. The GrADS documentation on
descriptor files (
http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/descriptorfile.html#DTYPE ) has some
guidance that is similar to what's in that .pdf file.

One more thing about BUFR ... There is no guarantee that the GrADS bufr
interface will read any ol' BUFR file out there. If it's from NCEP, or
follows the NCEP usage of the BUFR format, then it should work, but
otherwise ... you are on your own.

Jennifer

On Mar 8, 2005, at 2:21 PM, Greg West wrote:

> Hi,
>   I know that GrADS can read bufr data, but I don't know how. Can
> someone explain to me or point me to some information about how it
> works? Is there a site I can download bufr tables from? I'd like to
> plot
> hourly profile data I have.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

> Gregory West
> Graduate Research Assistant
> University of Utah - Dept of Meteorology
> Office: INSCC 480-10
> 135 S 1460 E WBB Rm. 819
> Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0110
> 801-585-1410