index showalter

Ivana Stiperski stiperski at CIRUS.DHZ.HR
Mon Mar 7 02:58:44 EST 2005

Hi Jose
I just wrote a script for showalter index calculation (using formulas from
USA Noaa's AWIPS) but the problem is that it still hasn't been fully
tested. as far as i have seen (in comparison with our sounding) it gives a
bit bigger values than it should. try it and see if it performs well in
your conditions.
t is temperature in kelvin, r relative humidity in %.
i have another script, a bit more refined or better to say not so empirical
but i am still working on it. so if you see that this one is not good
enough for you let me know and i will send you the other (a bit dubious) one.
good luck!
ivana