To smooth the curve

Mary Jo Nath Mary-Jo.Nath at NOAA.GOV
Thu Jun 30 10:00:45 EDT 2005

Christophe,

When smoothing in Z, assuming you had N levels in Z and "var" is defined from Z=1 to N :

set z 1 N
define newvar=ave(var,z-1,z+1))
d newvar

I'm not sure what Grads does exactly when Z=1, since Z-1 = 0. Maybe it just does
a partial average over z to z+1. Same with the case when Z=N. But the other levels
Z=2 to N-1 should be the average z-1 to z+1 .

I believe you can do the same for smoothing in Y.

Mary Jo