No subject

Don Hooper hoop at COLORADO.EDU
Thu Jun 16 14:40:01 EDT 2005

I strongly suspect you got that file from our site:
        ftp.cdc.noaa.gov
which is the NOAA-CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC), not NCAR.
In any case, you should be able to open the file with the sdfopen
command at the GrADS prompt.  No Data Descriptor File (DDF, which you
term "ctl file") should be needed.  Just set the time to that which
you desire, and plot.  A NetCDF file, once opened in GrADS, is just
like any other file that has been opened in GrADS.  You manipulate
and use open files the same way in GrADS, regardless of how you
opened them.

-Hoop