Converting grads output to PDF

Kilian Hagemann hagemann1 at EGS.UCT.AC.ZA
Mon Jul 25 04:16:40 EDT 2005

Sytske,

> I'm sure some of you out there have submitted articles to AMS journals. The
> article has to be submitted in the form of a single PDF file, including
> text and figures with captions. Is there a way to insert grads output into
> a PDF text file (created with word perfect and converted to PDF) with the
> figure captions already in the text file? I know I could put the captions
> on the figures using grads, but that is a lot of extra work. I've tried
> converting postscript figures to word perfect graphics using Correll Draw
> but then the figures get distorted. Any suggestions on how to do this
> efficiently would be greatly appreciated.

To get really good looking publication quality figures in my papers/reports, I
always create eps files from grads .gmf output using gxeps. The advantage of
eps is that they can be rescaled without loss of quality as they're vector
based.

If you're using latex (or a frontend like lyx) inserting these into your
document and exporting to pdf is a breeze and gives best results. I've never
used Word Perfect, but if you're on Windows I suggest using Openoffice,
importingt the figure as eps, printing to file, thus producing a postscript
which Ghostview/Ghostscript can easily convert to pdf, this works with the
original eps figures as well by the way. When using this approach avoid
Openoffice 1.1.x's pdf export feature, as it doesn't convert the eps figures
to pdf.

Hope this helps.

--
Kilian Hagemann