Rotated poles, GRIB and GrADS

Tero Siili Tero.Siili at FMI.FI
Fri Jul 15 06:32:48 EDT 2005

Dear GrADS users and developers,

my colleagues and I are using a mesoscale model, which has the option
of a rotated pole. This information is apparently stored in the
GRIB-format output files.

To put it simply: does GrADS know how to display - and if necessary,
convert the coordinates and wind vectors & interpolate to natural
lat/lon coordinates - such data sets with arbitrary rotated pole(s)?
The PDEF keyword available for .ctl files seems like a potential way
to handle this, but is the PDEF versatile and flexible enough - or
constrained to a fixed set of coordinate transformations? We are
currently using GrADS version 1.9b4.

A colleague of mine found a couple of external, standalone tools
(xconv and convsh) which may help, but info on both GrADS
capabilities (or lack thereof) as well as on other useful conversion
tools would be highly helpful.

With best regards and looking forward to hearing more about this,

Tero Siili
--
Finnish Meteorological Institute
Space research

"Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out,
    but that is not the reason we are doing it" -- (Richard Feynman)