hdf files

Don Hooper hoop at COLORADO.EDU
Wed Jan 19 09:57:25 EST 2005

Jean Pierre Arabonis,

Where to begin....  OK, first the data is 8-bit arithmetic ("byte"), which I've
explained is no-go (at least for sdfopen/xdfopen) twice in the past week.
Second, it's lacking in coordinate variables, and most any other metadata.
The sdfopen command requires metadata nearly conformant with the COARDS
standard.  The xdfopen command allows you to make up for missing metadata,
but it won't apply in this case because of the byte data.  I'm not sure
if version 1.9's "dtype hdfsds" interface allows byte data, but it's your
only shot.  I'm guessing this "envi" program is less forgiving about metadata,
but I'd be surprised if it georegistered the data....

-Hoop