Specifying Z levels

Andrea Storto andrea.storto at TISCALI.IT
Fri Feb 25 12:47:36 EST 2005

I'll try to be clearer:

In my model I've no grib output but binary files (not standard format),
so I convert in ascci format and then re-convert in binary for GrADS.
My output is in altimetric vertical coordinate and I'm interested in high
resolution
visualization near surface (so to interpolate to pressure levels or to get
pressure variable and
then write is not the best!), since my model is a Limited Area model with
a very high resolution (subchilometric horizontal).

So I can't use specified pressure levels for real vertical scale
visualization.
Moreover, I can fix the initial vertical spacing, and the
stretching ratio of my grid:

DZ(i+1)/DZ(i)=K (constant, for example 1.2)

where DZ(i+1)=Z(i+1)-Z(i);

if you develope you have something like

z(n)=(K^n)*DZ0+SUM(i varying from 0 to n-1)(over Zi)

where DZ0 is the initial vertical spacing (fixed)

and this is not a loghartimic function since it depends on
specific vertical level (SUM term).
So I can't use set logz.

I surely can find some solutions (using pressure levels or logz),
but it could not be precise, and I'm also curious to understand
wheter a way to have specifed vertical
altimetric levels exists in GrADS.

Thank you

Andrea Storto