Making gridded files with VBasic

Danny Blair d.blair at UWINNIPEG.CA
Wed Feb 2 20:11:47 EST 2005

Greetings.  I have large ascii file arrays of data that I would like to put
into GrADS friendly gridded gridded file format.  According to the GRADS
documentation I could use this program to create a single variable gridded
binary file:

REAL  Z(72,46,16)
   OPEN(8,FILE='grads.dat',FORM='UNFORMATTED',
 & ACCESS='DIRECT',RECL=72*46)
   IREC=1
   DO 10 I=1,16
     WRITE (8,REC=IREC) ((Z(J,K,I),J=1,72),K=1,46)
     IREC=IREC+1
10 CONTINUE

I don't have FORTRAN, and would rather not.

Does any body know the Visual Basic 6.0 equivalent code?  Have tried writing
to a file opened as binary format, but not sure I'm writing the variables in
the correct variable format.

Don't think it is relevant, but I'm using 1.8SL9, Windows (which is
otherwise working well).

Thanks!