Installing on w2k

Frank Colby Frank_Colby at UML.EDU
Wed Dec 21 12:10:19 EST 2005

Robert,

Although Linux is more suited in some ways to Grads, you can do just
fine with windoze.  I run Grads on a laptop running win2000.  Here's
what I have done.

I installed the program files in the default directory.   The scripts
all should go in the \lib directory, since then they run without
specifying the location.  That is, to run a script called xsec.gs, you
can just type xsec, and Grads will find it.  That would seem to imply
that the environment variable mentioned previously, $GASCRP, is set to
this directory.  I haven't tried to set these in my windows
installation, although I have used them on several Linux boxes.

For data files, I have put them in their own directory, and haven't
tried to get Grads to know where to look for them. Instead, I edit the
.ctl file to set the datafile directly in the dset line.  The .ctl files
we generate usually have something like this:  dset ^2003Mar04_norsg.dat
in the first line.  I edit this file with wordpad or notepad, and change
this line to:
dset d:\gradsfiles\2003Mar04_norsg.dat
to reflect the correct location of the data file.  Then when I run
Grads, I open the file with:

open d:\gradsfiles\2003Mar04_norsg

which opens the .ctl file, and the .ctl file now finds the correct data
file, and everyone is happy.

In Linux we usually cd to the right directory where the datafiles are,
and just run grads from the command line, so the directory information
isn't needed.  But on Windows, the above works just fine-- just a little
more typing for the open command.

Hope this helps.

Frank