Control file for multiple files

Greg West gwest at MET.UTAH.EDU
Thu Apr 14 12:42:12 EDT 2005

Dan,
   To use the "%f2" you need to add "options template" below the "dtype"
line in your control file. Then you'll have to recreate your index file
using gribmap.

Greg

Daniel Leins wrote:
> List,
>
> I would like to know if it's possible to come up with a control file
> that could be used for several different grib files.  I've created a
> control file for the mesoeta model run, and instead of using grib2ctl,
> and gribmap every time I process a grib file, I would like to stick with
> one ctl file, as well as 1 idx file.  Can this be done, and if so, what
> is the context of the top of the control file?
>
> Looking around online, I came across an example ctl file valid for the
> GFS run.  The top of the file looks like...
>
> dset ^gfs.t00z.pgrbf%f2
> index ^gfs_00z.idx
> undef 9.999E+20
>
> I modified my file to look like
>
> dset ^nam.t00z.grbgrd%f2.tm00
> index ^nam.idx
> undef 9.999E+20
>
> changing the forecast valid time from the number to "%f2", however when
> I try and open my control file, I am presented with an error that it
> can't find "
>
> nam.t00z.grbgrd%f2.tm00"   I get the same error when I try and run
> gribmap, thinking that the idx file was messed up.
>
> All my files will be named with the same convention,
> nam.t00z.grbgrd##.tm00.  What can I do to make this concept of a
> single control file work?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Leins

Gregory West
Graduate Research Assistant
University of Utah - Dept of Meteorology
Office: INSCC 480-10
135 S 1460 E WBB Rm. 819
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0110
801-585-1410