gds - fortran client

Don Hooper hoop at COLORADO.EDU
Wed Apr 13 15:52:58 EDT 2005

Brian Nelson,

Sure.  OPeNDAP has many client libraries.  Let's talk about the NetCDF
one.  The NetCDF API includes a version with f77 (and another with f90)
calls.  So, one could access most any OPeNDAP server from a FORTRAN
program.  I've helped a scientist do this with GDS, AS, and the simple
CGI OPeNDAP server.  Here's the rub, however:  the OPeNDAP software
assumes you're going to use g77.  If you want to use another f77-type
compiler, you will have to build the OPeNDAP client software very
carefully.  It was a significant chore, as I recall.  I've no info,
however, on the f90 interface.  However, the OPeNDAP folks due, naturally,
tend to be oriented towards GNU compilers for portability, so I
wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar issue there.

I hope this helps.

-Hoop